Cultivate & Create Mutually Beneficial Connections
Everyone has a network of people that they’ve worked with, attended school with, played sports with. In fact, your network is likely larger than you think. Take the following steps to mine your network and expand your network. The key is to cultivate connections that are mutually beneficial. While asking for help, always ask how you can help others. You never know – you may run across an opportunity or an idea that is not right for you but may be right for one of your connections.
- Immediately start calling friends to let them know you are seeking new role, then expand your calls to people you’ve worked with and for in the past. Tell them what happened. There is no shame in it – most people have been through this. Ask them for advice and to keep you in mind for opportunities. Ask one or two of them to look at your resume and give advice.
- Thank those who are at your former employer that helped you in your job. They are all feeling survivor’s guilt and they need to know how much you valued and enjoyed working with them. Their jobs are about to get more difficult now that you and the other employees are gone.
- Build a network of recruiters and call them. Tell them that you have a good network of people and if a job doesn’t fit you, you can help them find the right candidate, then help them do it. They won’t forget you!
- Leverage NextPhaseNetworks.com to explore different opportunities and exchange ideas.
- When you get angry, push the thought out of your mind. It is not productive. Focus on the future.
Lifelong Learning & Success
NPN Preferred Members enjoy free access to webinars to learn a multitude of topics such as reinvigorating your resume, planning for multi-stream income generation, creating a business plan, etc. Sign up now!
Opportunities for Pros
Next Phase Network Preferred Members enjoy free access to job openings for mid-stage career professionals across a variety of functions and industries. Search new openings and find your next phase opportunity.
Start an Action Plan
Take charge of your next career move now. The current job market for mid-stage professionals is challenging to navigate. Proactively seeking new opportunities is critical to reaching your success. Your future starts with a plan.